Sunday, February 9, 2014

香港: 30 Jun - 7 Aug 2013

Pretty longass post about my 5-week summer programme in Dimsum Capital ahead, so don't say I didn't warned you. This news is almost half a year old but it's one of the events in 2013 that's more significant and close to heart if you ask me so I feel like it needed to be recorded somewhere other than in my head. 


I do feel a little like a frog in the well saying that a mere 5 weeks in a country like HK had me sold - not that it's bad, but considering how the lifestyle is pretty similar to SG's, it wasn't very much of a stepping-out-of-your-comfort-zone epiphany/found-myself kinda trip #lolwhut and besides, I wasn't there for a spectacularly long time. But being the hopelessly emotional monster I am, it did. I think I'm in love. There's something about blabbering broken canto over large group meals that makes you feel like family (and trust me, Virgos are a selective bunch and we don't just call anyone we hang out with our family/homies :/ ) Something about the neon lights at night that make you feel that it's never too late to explore one more alley. Something about a day on an island that stirs up that wanderlust inside and you know it wouldn't be too long before you return because you just had to experience it all over again. (Did you realize I haven't even mentioned the words 'Shopping' and 'Dimsum'?)


Anyway yes, I keep going back to the day of our Cheung Chau island tour which was ironically the most taxing part of the trip (if I don't consider lugging seven baggages down the slopes of my dorm on our last day, that is). Never been an 'explorer' kind of person, not crazy about the sun/sea/sand and not exactly a fan of shaved ice either - but somehow, I yearn to go back and do those things again. I guess I missed the luxury of having your mind completely blank and dedicated to taking in whatever sights/knowledge that the day ahead has to offer, even when you aren't sure where/what it'll lead to. The luxury of wandering yet not necessarily being lost, but rather on a mission to uncover new gems. It's something that most people (at least for me and the people around me) just don't do back in one's home country, perhaps because wandering on familiar grounds suggests that you're either lost or aimless. And being lost/aimless doesn't go down well in the culture that I was raised in. I might give it a try one day, but for now my mind's full and people tend to be too quick to judge. Then again, this crap belongs to another post altogether.

Scrolling through my ig feed every now and then, I'm thankful that the haolian/showy side of me decided to tag the location of every picture possible to sum up the day's events. Just looking at the place names brings back snippets of the trip accompanied by bittersweet feelings - of joy in building fond memories that go beyond the usual touristy spots, but also the weight of the realization that they may always remain as memories. Sure I could go back again, but it would never be the same. For one, I will never be going back as a wide-eyed student anymore. Yet, the HK I experienced five months ago as that wide-eyed summer student was probably the best I ever had. 


I think for me, it was really the people I met that did it. There's something about traveling alone (alone here being without my family and winding up in a class alone lol #loser) that makes one adventurous, curious - not just about sights and sounds but also the stories of each and every individual that comes your way and much as I try to refrain from saying it, #YOLO ;). I can't really recall how it happened now but I guess something within my introverted self 'clicked' and not before long, I was hanging out with this group of amazing locals after every lesson. And I'm really glad I did - including all attempts to immerse myself by shamelessly bringing my sucky canto to the table haha - because I've gained precious experiences and friendships - all of which I would never have expected from a country like HK considering how I've been there twice (only as the typical 4-day tourist though). In fact, I was initially pretty reluctant to make this my summer destination because I was sure it wouldn't be much of an eye-opener. Sorry Hongkong-ners, I was wrong! :<

This trip showed me how little I've seen of HK before 30 Jun 2013. The hidden gems within those congested and unpromising 大厦 (so far I've 'uncovered' 2 cafes, a boardgame studio and a Polaroid shop!); beyond dim sums and Mongkok (ppl got to give some credit to pork buns, chicken hotpot and Kwai Fong srsly); and more importantly, beneath the facade of fierce shopkeepers along the streets, the warmth of Hong Kong people who are in fact very much like you and me. It is the discovery of such wonders - so everyday and understated it gives you goosebumps when you see the shine after wiping the layer of dust on top (#lolwhut maybe that's why I like thrifting hehe). I feel like I have finally experienced Hong Kong, but of course not completely. And for sure, I'll never think of HK the same way again (for the better).

It wasn't the perfect getaway. In fact, it was far from it with all that homesickness, mozzie-bites and epic #fail episodes. But whatever we made past becomes memories we could look back, laugh at, and truly call it our own. I'm pretty sure that I would never ever forget to bring my passport along for karaoke sessions or share a main course with someone if I ever visit Salami Restaurant again. And if I was planning to travel to Taiwan, I'd probably prepare more cash and luggage space so I don't wind up at a payphone~ trying to call the Singapore Representative Office for info on money changers or risk having my overstuffed luggage fall apart on my last day. Also, I probably won't tell aunties at the 大排档 that I want 'Chao Dan' (fried egg) when what I really wanted was 'Hou Bang' (Oyster Omelette) unless I needed someone to shout at me lol. But there's still so much more and I wanna be back 'collecting' HK Dos & Don'ts, first-hand. I only hope it wouldn't be too long before I do.


Without a doubt, Fragrant Harbour has my heart. In just. five. weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment